Transfer Students – Hellenic American University

Follow Us:

Admissions & Aid

Home Admissions & Aid Transfer Students

Transfer Students

If credits are transferred, only the credit (and not the grade) appears on the Hellenic American University transcript. The grades do not transfer and do not become part of the student’s GPA. Only grades given by Hellenic American University courses appear on the transcript and count toward the student’s cumulative GPA.

Undergraduate Transfers

Students can transfer up to 60 credits (30 credits for Associate Degree programs) of undergraduate coursework for courses already successfully completed in another institution with a grade of C- or better. Students applying for admission to the undergraduate programs may also transfer a complete associate degree. Credits may only be transferred from higher education institutions recognized by their respective national regulatory authorities.

The last 60 credits of the undergraduate degree program must be earned through studying the Hellenic American University curriculum in order for the student to be awarded an undergraduate baccalaureate degree.

Graduate Transfers

Students transferring from another institution may be eligible to transfer up to 9 credits—for the MAAL program up to 6 credits—of graduate coursework for courses already successfully completed. In no case will the number of credits allowed exceed 25% of the total required for graduation for that program. The University will establish a limit of credits that may be transferred toward graduation requirements for each graduate program.


Courses may be waived under certain conditions. Waivers may be awarded for prior experiential learning and/or for credit by examination. When a course is waived, the Admissions Committee determines if credit will be granted (waivers without substitution) or no credit will be granted (waivers with substitution). If waivers are awarded without substitution, they appear on the University transcript with no grade.

Undergraduate Waivers

No more than 50% of the credits required for an undergraduate degree can be awarded as waivers. When credit is awarded on the basis of prior experiential or non-collegiate-sponsored learning alone, student learning and achievement are demonstrated to be at least comparable in breadth, depth, and quality to the results of institutionally provided learning experiences.

Graduate Waivers

Courses may be waived under certain conditions. However, no more than 9 credit hours of coursework can be waived for a graduate degree. Waivers without substitution have been established only for the MBA and MAAL programs.

Waivers WITH Substitution for Professional Experience:

An applicant with at least five years of experience in any professional area in which the University offers a degree may have the first professional course in that major area waived WITH substitution of another course (No credit is awarded for either non-collegiate sponsored instruction or prior experiential learning).